It’s National Dog Biscuit Day! What better way to show your canine pal some extra love by making homemade dog treats. Your pooch will go crazy for these Elvis-inspired doggie biscuits that include peanut butter, bacon and banana - the King’s favorite sandwich. And these treats will make your dog feel like a king. They’re easy to make and can be made slightly healthier (and last longer in an air-tight container) by skipping the bacon, if you wish.
Remember that treats are a special reward and should not replace or supplement your dog's regular food and should be given out sparingly. And don’t forget to consider your dog’s health and any allergy issues before making these treats.
Banana, Peanut Butter and Bacon Dog Biscuits
Makes: 25 treats
Active time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour and 45 minutes (includes chilling time)
- 1 banana
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup natural peanut butter (smooth)
- 1 tablespoon plus one teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds
- 1/4 cup crisp cooked bacon, finely chopped (from about 3 strips; optional)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and a second rack in the lower third then preheat the to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, mash banana until smooth.
- Add egg and peanut butter and stir until well combined.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon of honey, along with flax seeds, bacon, and oats.
- Add flour and stir until evenly combined (the dough will be very thick).
- Wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out the dough to 1/3 inch thickness.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut out as many biscuits as possible and transfer to the prepared baking sheets, leaving about 1/2 inch between treats.
- Gather scraps and knead them until combined. Reroll the dough and cut out more treats. Repeat until you run out of dough.
- In a small bowl, whisk the remaining 1 teaspoon of honey with 1 tablespoon of water until the honey is dissolved.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the tops of the treats with honey mixture.
- Bake the treats, switching them between the upper and lower racks about halfway through baking, until they are golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
Treats with bacon will last for about one month stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Treats without bacon will last about three months.